Sierra Club Florida ALERTSenate could take up HB 999 or the
Senate version - SB 1684 - at any time!
On Thursday morning, April 25, the Florida House of Representatives passed by a 92-20 vote HB 999, the most anti-environmental bill of the 2013 Legislative Session.
Worst provisions of the bill:
(1) Preempts local authority to adopt fertilizer control ordinances that protect water quality (more info);
(2) Creates wetland exemptions for drainage districts and jeopardizes over 1 million acres of land and water in Florida;
(3) Ratifies no-bid 30 year sugar leases in the Everglades Agricultural Area, increasing the cost of Everglades restoration and further degrading water quality in the Everglades (The intent of this provision is to stop the Florida Wildlife Federation's legal challenge of the harmful leases);
(4) Expedites natural gas pipeline permit applications;
(5) Limits how the Florida Department of Environmental Protection can test for polluted water discharges;
(6) Prohibits water management districts from reducing permitted water withdrawals where an alternative water source is available;
(7) Restricts how local governments deal with development proposals by limiting how many times additional information can be requested.
Please call your Senators immediately --
Urge them to VOTE NO on HB 999 and SB 1684!
Members of the Florida Senate 2013